Monday, June 8, 2009

dtypes

A NumPy dtype is not a normal Python object. Dtypes tell the narray how to interpret the array. A dtype is a way to specify exactly what every member in the narray is.
>>> numpy.array([1,2,3,4,5], dtype='int32')
array([1, 2, 3, 4, 5], dtype=int32)
The NumPy array is able to take a list of data [1,2,3,4,5] and a dtype to refer to that data (dtype='int32'). When I create this narray, the dtype='int32' makes the list of data be interpretted as a list of 32 bit integers. See what happens when I change the dtype to a float:
>>> numpy.array([1,2,3,4,5], dtype='float64')
array([ 1., 2., 3., 4., 5.])
The data inside of the narray is now interpreted as an array of 64 bit floats. My goal is to make a new one of these dtypes.
>>> numpy.array(["12-3-2009"], dtype='datetime64[D]')
array([12-3-2009])
I've been working on creating some kind of separate module with datetime64 as a scalar object type. This is not the project goal. I need to create a numpy array dtype datetime64 and timedelta64 for use in the narrays. I've been sifting through NumPy's core code all weekend and can't seem to find the file(s) where dtypes are referred to. My current plan is to take these already created dtypes' chunk of code and copy paste so I can start with something barebones and work my way up

No comments:

Post a Comment